develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2010

Re: Directions of perl 5 development - requests from companies

From:
brian d foy
Date:
Re: Directions of perl 5 development - requests from companies
Message ID:
050720101347317717%brian.d.foy@gmail.com
In article <20100704160502.GK31795@plum.flirble.org>, Nicholas Clark
<nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:21:08AM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> > * From core perl, what we want most is bug fixing and testing. One
> > example: "make utf8 suck less".
>
> Interesting - so principally you're interested in ongoing maintenance, not
> new features.

Most of the feedback I get from companies is that they want existing
things to just work, including core and CPAN modules. Most places I
visit aren't using most of the Perl features available to them, so new
features aren't very interesting, especially when they are stuck on
older versions of perl anyway.

That's just the feedback I get from people who give me money to do
things for them.

> > * We're happy to pay a 'tax' to support general bugfixing if we paid
> > for a specific project... and to contribute for bugfixing even if
> > we don't have a specific project.
>
> But you don't, because there's no obvious way to contribute to bugfixing,
> and no-one creating one?

Schwern and I have talked on a couple of occasions about having a group
of hired gund who will fix CPAN module bugs. Indeed, in my work for
other companies, most of my time is fixing CPAN modules for them and
very little work on their internal modules.

However, the people most likely to be in a position to do this are also
content with the amount of work they have.

>     $name =~ s/brian d foy/Brian D. Foy/;

curious decision there.