develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2009

Re: The Great Pumpkin

From:
David Golden
Date:
November 1, 2009 05:08
Re: The Great Pumpkin
Message ID:
5d4beb40911010508n5768e7ddk163f4db6fca2ab60@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM, jesse <jesse@fsck.com> wrote:
>> It means people may not benefit from
>> META 2.0 changes in newly released distributions unless they upgrade
>> CPAN/CPANPLUS, but there will be a period of adoption anyway before
>> META 2.0 becomes widespread
>
> At this point, does the toolchain group have a good sense of what "may
> not benefit from" means? Will people be unable to install modules using
> the new spec? Will they have to manually resolve dependencies? Or will
> there be some sort of glue in the PAUSE/CPAN toolchain to make it
> transparent to users?

One of the bigger changes visible to end users will be clarified
semantic around prerequisites.  Particularly, the creation of the
"prefers" category that I mentioned for modules that are optional but
really should be installed.  Right now, CPAN/CPANPLUS completely
ignore "recommends" in META.yml.  In the near future, CPAN/CPANPLUS
should install "requires" and "prefers" by default and should give
users the option of installing "recommends". This is a better approach
that haphazard prompting that happens today in *.PL files.

That's one example.

David