develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2009

Re: The Great Pumpkin

From:
jesse
Date:
October 31, 2009 20:31
Re: The Great Pumpkin
Message ID:
20091101033140.GI22548@bestpractical.com

> It means people may not benefit from
> META 2.0 changes in newly released distributions unless they upgrade
> CPAN/CPANPLUS, but there will be a period of adoption anyway before
> META 2.0 becomes widespread

At this point, does the toolchain group have a good sense of what "may
not benefit from" means? Will people be unable to install modules using
the new spec? Will they have to manually resolve dependencies? Or will
there be some sort of glue in the PAUSE/CPAN toolchain to make it
transparent to users?

It sounds like the new infrastructure is going to make a lot of module
installation issues a lot easier to deal with once it's fully
operational.  I just want to make sure that we understand the
reprecussions of a partial adoption before we ship 5.12.

Best,
Jesse