develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2009

Re: The Great Pumpkin

From:
David E. Wheeler
Date:
October 31, 2009 15:49
Re: The Great Pumpkin
Message ID:
759A7808-A196-4DD5-807A-AA51B14DE790@kineticode.com
On Oct 31, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> To this end, I asked our former pumpkings for their blessing to pick
> up
> the patch pumpkin and shepherd 5.12 into existence.

Yay!

> The plan for Perl 5 Release 12 is as follows:

<snip content-disposition="sane" />

+1

> Assuming that we're happy with the results, my intent is that we spin
> up the same process for Perl 5 Release 14 next October or November.

+100 Awesome news, thanks.

> I'm doing what I can to delegate and automate release engineering,
> though I know that the ultimate responsibility always falls on the
> person stubborn enough to claim responsibility.  Many other parts of
> the pumpking role are the sorts of things I spent a lot of time on
> when
> I was foolhardy enough to stare into the gaping maw of Perl 6 as their
> nominal project manager.

A position, I notice, that you managed to make largely irrelevant,
yes? Good job, that.

> My language design tends to the conservative. I'd rather see the core
> made more flexible, extensible and easier to maintain than see
> language
> features added or removed.

Does that mean that you'll be making language design decisions, or
relying on others?

> I am not a skilled C hacker. I don't expect to magically become a
> skilled
> C hacker. I am not a perlguts rockstar. I'm going to have to lean on
> those
> of you who _are_ excellent C and perlguts hackers, but that's work
> you're
> already doing (and that I'm grateful for).

Sounds like a terrific plan. Thanks for stepping up, Jesse.

Best,

David