develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

Re: Deprecating ' as a package separator [Another overdue deprecation]

From:
Paul Fenwick
Date:
Re: Deprecating ' as a package separator [Another overdue deprecation]
Message ID:
4A624CCF.6090102@perltraining.com.au
Michael G Schwern wrote:

> Name "name::s" used only once: possible typo at - line 3.
> Use of uninitialized value $name::s in concatenation (.) or string at - line 3.
>
> Its interesting.  In my experience I've never seen a newbie do that... or done
> it myself either.  Have you?

All the time, both for myself personally, and for newbies, and working with
newbies is my job.

I agree with Yves that its usage in strings at least should be considered
for deprecation.  Despite me having code written in Klingon, I'd be happy to
see it gone entirely.

Cheerio,

	Paul

--