develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

Re: version-0.77 and You

From:
David Golden
Date:
Re: version-0.77 and You
Message ID:
5d4beb40907151436j7cde9c84t558a2db2b88a6eff@mail.gmail.com
>>> I would suggest that you bump the version number of version to 1.00 so that becomes the recommended minimal number instead of an arbitrary number like 0.77; making the recommended invocation:
>>>  use version 1.00;  $our $VERSION = qw("v1.2.3");

+1 on version bump since the API is changing.  (ignoring "typos", above)

>>> This still confuses me as I think that:
>>>   use version 1.00;
>>> ought to be handy way to declare your own $VERSION, not about requesting a specific version of version.

As an aside, I sort of wish that could be optionally added to package
for some future perl and have "our $VERSION" be hidden away.

  package Foo::Bar 1.00;

Yes would need toolchain parsing updates, but heck, we've done that
before, plus we'll have configure_requires on our side this time.

> Seems like a good reason now to do this then.  Perhaps it's better to write:
>
>   our $VERSION = version->declare("v1.2.3");  use version 1.00;

<cringe>

Yes, that "works" but I think it's horrible for readability.  I would
think anyone writing "use version X" will know what it means.

-- David