develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2008

The great perldelta589 race!

From:
Paul Fenwick
Date:
September 5, 2008 00:50
Subject:
The great perldelta589 race!
Message ID:
48C0E4AB.6060102@perltraining.com.au
Ladies and gentlemen!  Welcome to the great perldelta589 race!  Nicholas is
screaming towards a release of Perl 5.8.9 at a frantic pace, and we need to
get the perldelta file written before he gets there!

I've put up my hand to write the perldelta, but there have been so many
amazing changes for 5.8.9 that I can't do it just by myself.  So that's why
I need your help!

I've put together a public git repository for collaborating the building of
the perldelta file, and you can find its details at:

	http://github.com/pfenwick/perl589delta/tree/master

Included in that location (if you scroll down) are instructions on how to
get involved in the project.  You do not need a github account, nor do you
need to use git, but having both can make my life easier.

The master changes file has been split into chunks, which are located inside
the splits/ directory.  This means you can volunteer for as little or as
much work as you like.  Work on each particular chunk is done in a branch,
so we don't end up with conflict hell, and so we can track when a chunk is
complete (since it's merged), or incomplete (since it's unmerged).

Feedback on the README is appreciated, especially if you're git-savvy.
Commit bits are handed out on request, but please keep per-month changes on
their specific branches.

Questions, comments, good ideas, and especially volunteers are welcome.  You
do not need to wait for me to respond before starting work, just let me know
what you're doing and hop in.  There will be a mailing list established soon
to help volunteers better coordinate with each other.

All the very best,

	Paul

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf@perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/