Re: make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by`miniperlmain.o'.

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
February 2, 2008 08:31
Re: make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by`miniperlmain.o'.
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.64.0802021128550.10985@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, (Andreas J. Koenig) wrote:

>   > Hi,
>   > I just tried to compile Perl 5.8.8 on my Linux Debian, with
>
>   >     ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/my && make
>
>   > And got this:
>

>   >     make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'.  Stop.

> I'm surprised. I know a similar problem with old perls and new
> compilers and I solve it with
>
>     perl -i~ -nle 'print unless /<(built-in|command line)>/' makefile x2p/makefile
>
> Note, that I have no dash between 'command' and 'line'.
>
> I suppose you hit a variant of the same problem. It's simply something
> unexpected being output by some tool and then being written to the
> Makefile.

It's output of gcc during the 'make depend' process.  We try to filter out
those non-files, but the output of gcc has changed somewhat over the
years, and the filtering isn't perfect.

In any case, just edit 'makefile' (note -- that's 'makefile', not
'Makefile') and remove any lines with 'command-line' in them.

Hope this helps,

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu