Vienna.pm "Winter of Code"

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
December 3, 2007 04:17
Subject:
Vienna.pm "Winter of Code"
Message ID:
20071203121652.GU7829@plum.flirble.org
As some of you may already know, Vienna.pm made quite a surplus from YAPC::EU.
To prevent this turning into a profit, they need to spend it. If this were
london.pm, it wouldn't be a problem (unless you dislike turning things orange)
but fortunately for us they aren't, so they're channelling it back into Perl.

They're running a "Winter of Code", which is described on
http://socialtext.useperl.at/woc/

There are some specific things that they'd like our help with spending money
on. Firstly, they'd like to pay someone to restart weekly perl5-porters
summaries: http://socialtext.useperl.at/woc/index.cgi?p5p_summaries

Budget is "not decided yet, but probably 50 Euros per week, ~ 2500 Euros for
per year ... or more"

If you're interested, you might first want to talk to one of the previous
(volunteer) summarisers, to learn how much work really is involved, and how
long before the initial enthusiasm wears off, as Vienna.pm want someone able
to keep it up for a year.

Secondly, they're planning to fund TODO test bug bounties:
http://socialtext.useperl.at/woc/index.cgi?todo_test_bounties

We're certainly interested in nominating Perl 5 TODO tests for bounties, but
which? Only bugs with TODO tests are eligible, so do people have "favourite"
bugs that don't yet have a TODO test? If so, test case patches welcome.

We're also interested in people fixing TODO tests, and claiming those
bounties. There's 4000 Euros on this one, with probably around 250 Euros
per accepted test fixed.

See http://socialtext.useperl.at/woc/index.cgi?todo_test_bounties

Thirdly, to manage the TODO test bounties, they need software. There's a
1000 EUR bounty on writing it:

http://socialtext.useperl.at/woc/index.cgi?management_system_for_todo_test_bounties

although you may have to be quick on that one as Renée Bäcker already has
a proposal in, and I know that Shadowcat Systems are also interested
(but they'd want to immediately recycle their bounty into new Catalyst and
DBIx::Class TODO test bounties)

Possibly also of interest, there's a london.pm competition to win a bottle
of malt whisky:

http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20071203/011650.html

which is tenuously "on topic" as "5.10 features may be used".

If anyone wishes to enter, I suspect that we can get the prize anywhere in
Europe given time and a few intermediaries, although it's not helped by the
EU going to the movies too often and thinking that liquids are explosive.

Nicholas Clark