develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2007

Anything But Perforce Hackathon

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
July 8, 2007 12:08
Subject:
Anything But Perforce Hackathon
Message ID:
4691362D.1090103@pobox.com
There is only one wrong decision to be made with regard to changing version
control systems and that is to keep Perforce.

Let me make one thing abundantly clear, Perl is the most closed Open Source
project out there.  We use a version control system that very few have
installed or even understand.  Its complicated to use.  You can't get read
access to our repository without special permission.

To work around this we have all sorts of elaborate and very clever
contrivances.  APC, perlbrowse, SVN and git mirrors... but all would go away
in an instant with an open repository.

Its pretty clear this is going to come down to SVN/SVK vs git.  My fear is
that the two camps will nullify each other and we'll be left keeping Perforce.
 I do not want to see this happen.  Again.  Opening up the repository and
allowing interesting branching and editing paradigms will probably be the best
thing to happen in Perl 5 development in years.

I'm in the SVN/SVK camp.  But I'm starting a new camp.

	-->> ANYTHING BUT PERFORCE <<--

Who's with me?  OSCON is coming up.  I know Sam and Jesse at least will be
there, so we'll have a git and an SVK expert.  I say we lock ourselves in a
room and don't come out until we have a new repository.  I volunteer my
apartment and foodening services for a hackathon.

PS  I knock Perforce, but I do appreciate that it was the best thing available
at the time and they have been very generous with free licenses.  I'm really
frustrated with the closed nature of the repository.