develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2007

Requirements for switching version control system

From:
demerphq
Date:
July 8, 2007 05:35
Subject:
Requirements for switching version control system
Message ID:
9b18b3110707080535v16d72f39n7908108e425e298b@mail.gmail.com
Over the years the subject of migrating away from Perforce into some
other (preferably distributed) version control system has come up many
times.

One of the principle arguments for staying with Perforce is that
migrating away from it to something else will result in a loss of
change history, especially that of inter-branch integrations. Which is
fair enough, that data is extremely useful after all.

However, what I'm curious about is that assuming its possible to
migrate the full deal into some other system how would we decide that
it was done properly? As one of the guys on #bzr said: "How would we
evaluate that the migration was good enough"?

From what I can tell the base requirements for a new VC are:

1. Must run on all platforms that we have committers using,
specifically Win32, VMS, Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.

2. Must be open source or at the very least freely usable by the committers.

3. Must have a viable future. (Meaning it must be well supported.)

4. Must support the full integration history that Perforce supports.

5. Should be distributed.

Anything I've missed?

cheers,
Yves