develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2007

Perl in LSB 3.2

From:
Stew Benedict
Date:
May 16, 2007 11:14
Subject:
Perl in LSB 3.2
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.58.0705161315330.24809@norris.e-artisan.org

Hello all.

I'm working with the Linux Foundation and addition of Perl to the LSB is
part of our target for LSB 3.2.

I'll apologize first, as we initiated this discussion back in January and
seem to keep circling around the issue at our end, trying to get a grasp
on the mechanics of adding Perl, and what makes sense. Options range from
"There shall be a /usr/bin/perl interpreter available on the system" to
specifying a version, the standard library, file locations, etc, etc.

I realize there is already a test suite for Perl, and the previous
discussions in January revealed that it's probably possible to rework this
to run against an installed Perl, without too much additional work.
Presumably the output could be adapted or reparsed into the "TET" format
that the LSB test suites use.

I've updated the page on the LSB wiki a little, just to capture what's
transpired so far, and I'm hoping this message will stimulate some further
discussion. Thank-you for the input you've added to the wiki so far.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LsbPerl

So, presuming the community wants Perl in the LSB, let me toss out some of
the questions in my mind, and see if we can make any progress. Please feel
free to comment.

1) How much do we want to specify?
2) Do we specify a perl version, what version (keeping in mind LSB tries
to follow current "best practice" with the major distributions as our
reference)?
3) Is there a specification LSB can reference, or does spec work need to
be done?
4) Assuming the test suite can be reworked for runtime usage, can it be
adapted to create TET output?
5) Assuming we can come to some concensus on what it means to have Perl as
part of LSB, how can we ratify or formalize the chosen path such that what
ends up in LSB makes sense to the perl community? (Given that this could
end up being just a "first steps", with more to come in later LSB
versions).
6) Does the Perl community have resources willing to do any of the work?

Original target for LSB 3.2 was June, this currently looks the be
optimistic. What makes sense for the scope of "Perl in LSB" in a timeframe
of say the next 3 months?

This document (referenced on the wiki page too), identifies some issues
the Python community identified and presented at the LSB Face-to-Face in
December. I imagine some of the same questions apply to Perl.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/images/6/66/Lsb-f2f-200612-python.pdf

Thanks!
--
Stew Benedict