The Strict trap

From:
Johan Vromans
Date:
April 16, 2007 07:07
Subject:
The Strict trap
Message ID:
m2mz182z11.fsf@phoenix.squirrel.nl
Recently one of my trainees was bitten by the Strict trap. You know,
when you "use Strict" on a platform that has case-insensitive file
names nothing seems to happen. No error messages, but strict is not
enabled either.

In the past several discussions have been spent on how to solve this
problem, and AFAIK all potential solutions were rejected since they
could in theory break some program some where some time.

Fortunately, the situation with 5.10 is different. Now we have "use
feature" and this can be used to introduce changes that would
otherwise be breaking compatibility.

So, for the sake of sanity, lets add a something to 5.10 that prevents
old and new users to ever fall in the Strict trap.

Thanks for your attention,

-- Johan