develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from October 2008

problems building large wrapped app

From:
Scott Stanton
Date:
October 14, 2008 19:00
Subject:
problems building large wrapped app
Message ID:
94511A2526233044AC4E4C278B80B3BA0209A769@IRIS.electric-cloud.com
I'm running into crashes on Windows trying to build a large wrapped app
(>200MB, it's an installer).  The problem happens on the second call to
Win32::Exe->new->update in Packer.pm (around line 1257).  I'm not sure
why we need to set the icon and info for the exe both before and after
the append_parl/generate_output calls.  It seems to work for me if I
remove the second update call and just patch the copy of parl.exe before
appending the par file.

I've also run into problems trying to use some .ico files (that work
fine with other apps).  The resulting binary seems to be corrupted.  Has
anyone else seen similar problems?

I traced into the update call to see what was causing the failure.  I
think perl is running out of memory inside Parse::Binary->load_struct
trying to make a copy of the whole program in memory.  This seems like
an expensive way to update an icon.  I'm also suspicious that whatever
is causing the problem with different .ico files could be corrupting the
heap.  I wonder if the Win32::Exe module is not correctly handling some
cases.

--Scott