develooper Front page | perl.moose | Postings from April 2009

Mouse needs a maintainer

From:
Sartak
Date:
April 9, 2009 18:27
Subject:
Mouse needs a maintainer
Message ID:
e7e9b6ab0904091827o4de65c4bo97c34d508217e21b@mail.gmail.com
Hey all,

As many of you are well aware, I really don't like Mouse. I sincerely
want everyone to use Moose instead. I even added this line to Mouse's
POD for today's 0.20 release:

B<Use Moose instead of Mouse.>

I also observed in #moose:

<Sartak> Mouse is the PHP of the Moose world

Although I started Mouse (to learn how Moose's meta-model fits
together), I quite dislike maintaining this codebase. Unfortunately,
Mouse needs a maintainer, because people are using it for important
projects. In particular, Schwern has been using Mouse::Tiny, which
bundles every class together in one easy-to-ship file, for
Test::Builder2. Best Practical uses Any::Moose for Prophet and SD.
Several important modules, like Data::Visitor, use Any::Moose. Quite a
few people have come into #moose asking Mouse questions, because their
bosses, clients, or users won't let them use Moose.

Is there anyone who wants to take the maintenance torch? My only
demand is that you deem Moose compatibility as nothing short of
critical. Any::Moose *must* continue to work well, because Mouse is
(hopefully) going to be deprecated some day. We just need to make
Moose fast. (Alas, Mouse has been the only successful "fast Moose"!)
Once Moose really does get fast, we need to ensure that it's trivial
for Mouse users to come back to Moose. For this reason, Mouse should
also do nothing beyond what Moose does. Any additional feature that
core Moose does not have should be implemented as an extension and not
be put into core Mouse.

Beyond that, the new maintainer can call all the shots.

Feel free to contact me in public or in private about this.

Shawn