develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from February 2013

PAUSE permissions should be case insensitive

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
February 15, 2013 04:27
Subject:
PAUSE permissions should be case insensitive
Message ID:
9A9507DE-7E2C-4EE5-AD50-A34C4F206370@bowers.com
Hi,

I recently got bitten by installing File::Stat on my Mac, as it superseded File::stat, the core module. This broken various things, but I only discovered this when two CPAN authors emailed me about some failing reports I sent to CPAN testers (I'm using CPAN::Reporter). I discovered there are a number of other examples like this on CPAN, and as CPAN grows it could happen more.

I've written up the issue, so I could email this short message to the PAUSE admins:

http://blogs.perl.org/users/neilb/2013/02/pause-permissions-should-be-case-insensitive.html

I think the "right solution" is to make PAUSE's permissions model case insensitive, and to resolve the current problem cases (I know, much easier said than done).

A partial solution would be to let things progress as now, but notify people when they upload problem modules, and hope they rename them. This would still leave the potential for people to unwittingly shoot themselves in the foot.

And maybe I've missed the best solution ... :-)