develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from July 2007

1 package -> 900 packages?

From:
Sendu Bala
Date:
July 2, 2007 09:02
Subject:
1 package -> 900 packages?
Message ID:
4688BB65.3000001@sendu.me.uk
Hi,

Bioperl is a monolithic collection of around 900 Perl modules. We
currently distribute it as one package: if you want one of the modules,
you have to install them all.

We were thinking it might be better to have them on CPAN as one package
per module, then people could just get what they wanted and it would
also be easier to release and install bug-fixes for a single module.
We could use CPAN bundles and Task:: scripts to still allow the easy
installation of all 900 modules.

I was just looking for some feedback on this idea. Would CPAN/PAUSE
'mind' if there were suddenly 900 extra packages? Would it be too taxing
(on computing resources) to get all 900 packages via a CPAN bundle? Is
this a sane and reasonable thing to do?

Cheers,
Sendu.