develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from April 2005

distclean misnamed?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
April 4, 2005 09:34
Subject:
distclean misnamed?
Message ID:
20050404163425.GF13039@windhund.schwern.org
For reference, this discussion started when Jos was looking for a
MakeMaker target which deletes everything not in the MANIFEST.  Naturally
he tried "distclean" expecting that to DWIM only to find out it doesn't.
It does a realclean and distcheck just telling you what's wrong.

Initially I agreed with him, and was horrified to find MB had parroted
MakeMaker's behavior.  However...

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:26:20AM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > However, it seems to be actually only *telling* me what is wrong,
> > without actually removing the wrong files:
> > Reading the documentation, that seems to be the intention as well :(
>
> Alas.  ARGH!  Module::Build parroted MakeMaker's behavior!

I take that back.  Having distclean deleting files would be a Very Bad Thing.
Consider the case where you've just added a few new source files to the
dist but haven't added it to the manifest.  You (or perhaps some build tool)
runs "make distclean" and poof! new files gone.

One could have distclean move the files to some unclean/ directory instead
of deleting them, or confirm before deleting, but really the point of
distclean is to make sure that "realclean" does in fact clean out the
distribution back to a pristine state.

To that end, maybe "distclean" is misnamed.