develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from June 2011

Re: SQLite over MySQL?

From:
merlyn
Date:
June 23, 2011 16:27
Re: SQLite over MySQL?
Message ID:
86y60snn67.fsf@red.stonehenge.com

Chas> That said, it doesn't provide some things you might expect.  So far as
Chas> I know, it provides no security layer.  there is no username or
Chas> password to connect, no users own tables (and therefore there are no
Chas> privileges to grant).  The database does no type checking.  If you
Chas> declare a column as being an integer, there is nothing to stop you
Chas> from storing a string in it (this is a simplification of its dynamic
Chas> typing, but an integer column can contain "fred").

There is no longer a gap between SQLite and PostgreSQL that MySQL could
fill nicely, as it had in the past.  They overlap in the middle.

MySQL should not be used for new starts.

Or, as I say, "Friends don't let friends use MySQL".