develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from August 2009

Re: 10.6 MacPerl - no appropriate 64-bit architecture

From:
emoy
Date:
August 29, 2009 13:06
Re: 10.6 MacPerl - no appropriate 64-bit architecture
Message ID:
045D1EA2-8B56-475A-8931-2864D2B4C2C9@apple.com
On Aug 28, 2009, at 11:44 PM, Gavin Brock wrote:

> On 28 Aug 2009, at 17:45, emoy@apple.com wrote:
>
>> On Aug 27, 2009, at 11:15 PM, Gavin Brock wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else seeing issues with Snow Leopard /usr/bin/perl modules
>>> on 64bit hardware?

>>> Any insights?
>>
>> Because a lot of Carbon is not available in 64-bit, and because
>> MacPerl and other modules are based on Carbon, they can't be built
>> 64-bit.  Since perl 5.10.0 is 64-bit by default, those modules
>> can't be loaded.
>>
>> A 32-bit only machine will work fine, just as using the techniques
>> mentioned in "man perl" for running in 32-bit mode.  However, since
>> the world is moving to 64-bit, and most of SnowLeopard is already
>> 64-bit, moving off of modules that depend on non-64-bit software
>> like Carbon is the long term solution.
>>
>> Ed
>
> Since MacPerl is deprecated in 10.6, does anyone have a suggestion
> for an alternative way to call AppleScript from perl? The
> MacPerl::DoAppleScript was very convenient.
>
> I believed that Mac::Glue was the popular "perly" way to call
> AppleScript, but even that claims to need "the latest Mac::Carbon
> distribution". Will that work on 64bit?
>
> Please don't tell me I have to system("osascript", ...) ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gavin

Mac::Glue and Mac::Carbon are again based on Carbon, and won't work in
64-bit.

Though I haven't used it myself, "use Foundation;" will load in the
PerlObjCBridge module (which is 64-bit) and then you can use
NSAppleScript class to run an AppleScript script (as I understand it).

Ed