develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from January 2006

Re: error

Gisle Aas
January 24, 2006 05:45
Re: error
Message ID:
Nigel Horne <> writes:

> Gisle Aas wrote:
> > Nigel Horne <> writes:
> >
> >>What are the circumstances under which this error appears, and what
> >>can be done to avoid it?
> >>
> >>"Use of uninitialized value in substitution iterator at /usr/share/perl5/ line 76."
> > What kind of statement do you find at this line?  What version of
> > do you have installed?
> Man URI doesn't tell you the version, but running 'r' within CPAN shows
> no updates available, so I must presume it is the most up to date
> version.

You could run 'grep VERSION /usr/share/perl5/' to get the
version number out of the file.  If you have the same version as me
you will find:

  $ perl -ne 'print if 72..76' /usr/share/perl5/
  sub _init
      my $class = shift;
      my($str, $scheme) = @_;
      $str =~ s/([^$uric\#])/$URI::Escape::escapes{$1}/go;

so the warning means that perl finds characters in your URI that does
not have corresponding entries in %URI::Escape::escapes.  Hmm, I guess
that can happen if you feed it strings with Unicode chars outside the
Latin 1 range.  Can that be the case?