develooper Front page | perl.i18n | Postings from April 2002

Apache::MP3 localization

From:
Sean M. Burke
Date:
April 27, 2002 12:57
Apache::MP3 localization
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.1.20020427134542.00ab8c40@mail.spinn.net
So I decided a good thing to do would be to internationalize Apache::MP3
using Locale::Maketext.

With the help of some patient native-speakers of French, I made a sample
localization into French.  Here's the lexicon file:
http://members.spinn.net/~sburke/a3shots/fr.pm

Now, what would really make it wonderful is if people would submit
translations for their own languages; then we'll have a demonstration
application of localization in Perl.  And besides, everyone likes mp3s!

The way you can provide me with a translation is by downloading the above
"fr.pm" file, replacing all the French bits with bits in your own language,
and emailing it to me.  If the data isn't in Latin-1, tell me what its
encoding name is.

So you can see where the phrases end up, these are screenshots of two
screens produced from the above French lexicon:
http://members.spinn.net/~sburke/a3shots/a3_dir.html
http://members.spinn.net/~sburke/a3shots/a3_help.html

Feel free to email me any questions about the meaning of things.
If you can read French, one thing you might notice is that I've translated
"stream" as the word meaning simply "play".  That might be a good idea for
your language too.

Once I get a few translations, I'll maybe add more comments to the fr.pm
file and then ask various Perl Mongers groups to provide translations of
what still needs translating.
--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/